19 July 2010

I guess this time I am really leaving...

Is not such a great or significant thing when there is no finality involved. You don't really leave; but just go visiting someplace else. A moment occurs in each person's life where there is a decision made. It might be big or small; but the theme remains the change if it has to make the intended effect. It is actually less of a decision and more of a reconciliation with the truth. A moment, when we realize that the place we are leaving will never be the same anymore. It is fleeting and ethereal as it is. But it will grow more distant and at times unrecognizable. With enough time; it will be just as much a stranger as is the next city.

This is what I wanted to share with the world out there. That; the city is only the people who make up the city. The city does not live. It does not breathe. It OPERATES. It operates according to terms set down by the people who are in it. It operates in a positive or a negative way to the individual based on the person's dynamics with the city. In short, without you, Chinna and Infant, Chennai will never be the same. There are so many people who are dear to me in this city; but there are so few who can define what the city is. And I leave a big chunk of myself, when I move to the next stop in the journey.

For those who know me; I am not the kind of guy who needs to fuss around about stuff. I look at life from the generalties and look out for exceptions. This ten day trip, can be looked at from what was different from the previous trips. This trip was special because... actually, there is no reason. NO single reason. Just that... There was an actual revisitation to the many moments I have lived here. Everything stood for something else. When I was dealing with my nephew or a brat at a birthday party, I was learning about parenting. When I got drenched in the rain outside a juice-bar, I was thinking about the so many days when we had ridden on bikes in the rain. Everything stood for something else; either in the past or the future. I hardly did half the things I had on my list to be done at Chennai, on both the practical, day to day front as well as the more whimsical and indulgent version.
I did a lot of things, mind you; but it is the things that did not happen make a list.

I did not go out for a Tamil Play.
I did not buy books.
I did not fix me new glasses.
I did not get a pair of crutches.
I did not smoke a final cigar.
I did not taste roast beef.
I did not play pool.
I did not visit the Library.
I did not visit my professors.
I did not meet many of my friends.
I did not attend the school reunion.
I did not even taste the Aavin Kulfi.
I did not walk in the beach.
I did not go to the beach everyday as I thought I would.
I did not see the sunrise.
I did not go down the IT corridor.
I did not have a drop of alcohol.
I did not see Vinnaithaandi Varuvaaya/ or any Tamil/ Telugu movie.
I did not have the play reading.
I did not go to Sparky's or Anjappar's.Thinking of it, I did not go out for a single day of proper dinner with my friends.

But I feel so much more pumped up about this trip than the others where I had done all these things. Then Chinna's words come back to me; this trip was special because there was an effort to make it memorable. Most nights and days passed with a lot of residual conversations and plans that never materialized. But they were all great because of just that; residual conversations. There was a sense of all those moments we had shared as well as what was going to happen. Nostalgia is both the past and the future simultaneously. And then... Silence.
My bags are packed. Tomorrow, I will be back in Kolkata. Worrying about things happening and not happening. Things that will dictate the course of my life. And things, in general. Life will resume. I will go back to a routine. My holiday space is over. Everyday is setting in. But it is not the freedom I will miss. It is the people I spent it with.

Cheers Mr Bond and Back-Bent.

Bump; motta blimp.

1 comment:

Deepak said...

I couldn't agree more with my brother on the fact that it is just the people who make the city to be what it is. Having moved myself from Chennai to Hyderabad, I can now feel the difference when I say I'll be going to Chennai rather than saying I'll be going home. What is significant and substantial is the moment of living. And yet what is poignant and beautiful is nostalgia. Nostalgia is an acceptance of the fact that we, as individuals and a group, have passed those halcyon days for good. Nostalgia is a celebration of the very fact that those days were enjoyable and momentous. I do not believe in teleology but would like to believe in the fact that those momentous moments of days past have had their influence in bringing us to the nostalgic moment