05 September 2009

Rain... 5th September 2009

Happy Teacherz Day!

I know that some of my teachers would kill me if they see the 'z' used in the previous line. But like every other miscreant who'z crying for attention from his/her favorite teacher, I let it be - as a tribute to all of those who would smile reading this. Teachers. Not necessarily mine. Not particularly academic. Not always those who teach the great philosophies of the world. Teachers. Sometimes they say everything that has to be said with a smile. I am sounding too much like an Archie's greeting card. Before I break into the 'you held my hand and taught me to write...' song, let me move on.

This is an extremely localized phenomenon, just like the 14th November being celebrated as Children'z day. But despite this distinction as an Indian Secular Non-Patriotic Day (That'z a tough one folks!), Teachers Day gets little attention. Maybe a set of Reynold's pens from Class VII. A phone call from an ex-student (who still is charmed by the idea of Old School)? Teachers don't get a fair deal these days. I went to school in a time when children waited nervously outside the staff room to give a card and a rose to their favorite teacher. Some had to carry contingency flowers, in case they bump into their not-so-favorite ones. It is not a big deal anymore. Some got chocolates. Or even boiled sweets. But the sense of satisfaction in the eye of the teacher was unmistakable. It was as if this was the one day they have been working for all year long. They seem to say. It was worth it.

Its raining today. I come to know that there have been very few takers for the teaching profession in the recent past years. The best teachers are already in their late thirties. Smart ones don't head the teaching direction these days. The corporate world offers them more money or the universities offer more pride. Schools? They are fast becoming leftovers. I wish I am being the typical oldtimer who says that those days were the best. I maybe wrong. I hope I am wrong. I hope that strong minded individuals become school teachers and inspire students of the next generation to be the best they can be. I have had many who have reshaped my life. Talking about each of them is not the scope of this post. There will be another time abd place for that. But let me leave you with names and their nature in a few words (if that is possible)...

Mrs. Leela Chandy - Class II - Class Teacher - forced me to stand on my own.
Ms. Sheila Beatrice - Class III - Class Teacher - took me seriously.
Mr. Arul Prakash - Class VI - Tamil Teacher - sparked my fancy with the stage.
Mrs. Catherine Simon - Class VIII - English Teacher - made me want to be Scarlet Pimpernel.
Mr. Ganesh - Class XI to XII - Tamil Teacher - defined versatile for me.
Mrs. Lydia Sagayam - Claa I to XII - Librarian - trusted me as a leader.
Dr. Sujatha Ross - Class VIII to XII - Principal - gave me a huge homecoming.
Dr. Claramma Jose - BA I Year - A Doll House - showed me the power of the dramatic word.
Dr. Chitra - Dip in VisCom - Screenwriting - was my teacher; is my mother.
Dr. T R Joy - BA II Year - Iliad - a teacher should not worry about covering syllabus for the course, as much as he shoud about uncovering it for the students.
Prof. Britto Kumar - BA III Year - HEL - man is not happy because he has everything; he has everything only when he is happy.
Mr. Vijayalayan - BA III Year - Fiction - 1 challenge; 30 days; 1st novel.
Dr. Ananda Lal - MA I n II Year - Drama - gave me the strength to jump by believing I will.

Thank you all!

No comments: